Moss on a roof can look quite beautiful, but every homeowner should be aware that moss ruins roofs over time. The longer you leave the moss growing on your roof, the more damage it will do. If you want to hold off on paying roofers for a replacement as long as possible, address your moss issues now:
How To Clean The Moss Off Of Your Roof
Fortunately, moss is not terribly difficult to get rid of if you know what you are doing. Moss needs certain things to flourish. Take those things away, and you can kill it pretty easily. There are four important factors to know about moss growth:
Shade – Moss doesn't grow well in bright sunlight. This is why you will always find it in the shade, whether under trees or in the shade of other buildings.
Moisture – It loves wet environments. The wetter it is, the better the moss will grow.
Hard surfaces – Moss grows well on rocks, sidewalks, and of course, roofs.
Acidity – Moss prefers acidic environments around pH 5.0 to 5.5.
For many homeowners, controlling most of these factors is next to impossible. Unless you want to chop down your favorite tree, or place a shelter over your roof to prevent rainfall, you are not going to be able to keep shade and moisture at bay. However, you can address the acidity level of the environment – either by making it even more acidic than the moss can bear, or making the environment more base.
You can do this with over-the-counter spray treatments, or with common household products. Some people find it easiest to go to the hardware or garden store and by a pre-mixed treatment. Most of these you mix with water, or attach to the end of your water hose, and spray on the roof. However you can also create your own mixture using very inexpensive household supplies.
On the base side, one of the most popular moss treatments is chlorine bleach. You can also use things like baking soda, salt, ammonia or soap. (Just be sure not to mix bleach and ammonia together). You can also go more acidic, using lemon juice or vinegar. Be careful on the acid side, though, as it must be rinsed off to avoid damaging the shingles.
With so many options, there is no reason to put off treating your moss problem. Doing so now can add years to the life of your roof.